In 1854, thirteen of our Scottish ancestors (nine men and four women) met in the Court House in Lumberton with a committee of the Fayetteville Presbytery to form the Lumberton Presbyterian Church.
Our first building was dedicated in 1858 and was located on East Fifth Street, After a period of growth, a second building was added on Fifth Street in 1885. The present sanctuary was constructed at Tenth and Chestnut Streets in 1918. In addition to the sanctuary building, other church properties include an Education Building, an Activities Building an Office Building (Elm Street House), and a scout hut.
Through the years our membership has grown from a small nucleus of Presbyterians of Scotch descent to a congregation of diverse backgrounds and an array of ages. As we have grown in numbers, we have grown in our mission, "to proclaim the Lord with joy in our community and throughout the world."
First Presbyterian Church members support local and foreign missions with their financial resources as well as time and energy. Operation Fun, our very own ministry, has reached locally disadvantaged boys and girls for more than sixty years. Many of our church members have traveled abroad to mission efforts in Haiti, Jamaica, Mexico and Malawi.
There are many opportunities for worship throughout the week. We have two worship services each Sunday--- a contemporary service (8:33 AM) in the Activities Building and a traditional service (11:00 AM) in the Sanctuary. Sunday school classes for children and adults are held each Sunday following the early worship service. In addition, a Wednesday Together supper and programs are held midweek, including FISH (Faith in Small Hearts) for children.
The Reverend Eva Ruth is Director of Christian Nurture, Heather Miller is Children's Ministry Director, and Allen Lloyd is Director of Music and church organist. The current governing bodies consist of twelve Elders and twenty-two Deacons.
Our Current Pastor is the Reverend David Ruth. His call to First Presbyterian Church began November 30, 2014.